What I learned:
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is 40% cheaper than diesel. $4.15/gallon for diesel vs $2.25/gallon for CNG or Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).
- CNG engines can be cost more than $35,000 more than a diesel engine.
- 18 month – 3 year payback to switch from CNG from Diesel.
- 20% of all US buses use LNG or CNG
- 50% of all waste hauler orders from the factory are CNG
3. Environmental Impact
- NG reduces up to 30% of the CHG and 85% of the particulate matter…this is good
- Still to early for to provide definitive cost benefit analysis.
- NG vehicles require more maintenance.
- Limited locations to get the fuel, typically customized for the user on their site.